Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ranges,ADRs and ANTS  (Read 2108 times)

AndrewB01

Ranges,ADRs and ANTS
« on: March 08, 2016, 02:44:09 AM »
Hi All

Novice trader here and I'm just trying to get my head around a few things if you could help me out.

1) What ranges seem to work the best with the charts. I've watch the youtube videos and they look like they set up a 10 pip and 3 pip bar range. Is this the best to work with or would set you trading chart to 2pip. I was watching a chart on a 3pip range and missed out on some early ANT signals that I would have picked up on a 2pip chart.

2)ANTS - How do you trade the ANTS? Do you buy/sell as soon as they flash up or do you wait for them to be locked in to confirm the trade?

3)ADR ranges. Do they cover a 12 or 24 hr period? When you talk about the price covering that range 80% of the time would this be during each market open or just over that time period?

Looking forward to getting stuck into this. Missed a rally on the EURAUD this morning that is still going. :(

Neil

• Administrator
Re: Ranges,ADRs and ANTS
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 11:13:56 AM »
Hi Andrew and welcome to the forums. I'll work to answer your questions.

Best Ranges with charts:
The default setting when you launch the platform is set to a 3R size. In the main, this will show the movements as clearly as probable for most charts. As a rule of thumb, which I appreciate for the moment may be a little wide of the mark is to try to get the range bars to meet or react right around the 300EMA line. For those not familiar with this, its the light orange line which is in the 'middle' of the superguppy. Try to shape the chart by changing the range bar size so that price levels seem to be reacting each time they hit the 300EMA. Either by punching through it, or by hitting it and reversing.
Take a look at my grab below, looking at GBPAUD where on a 3R its clear that the 300EMA line is an area where price reacts several times, shown by the purple circles.

Trading the ANTS
As a general rule you only look to take action when the ANTS fire and are 'set', not when they 'flash'. Also, try to only take the first ANT AFTER a change in colour of the price, AS CLOSE TO the 300 EMA as possible.

ADR's
The default is set to evaluate 5 days back. Make sure you have 5 days of data loaded (by scrolling left or shrinking you chart) or they won't plot accurately. The FX markets tend to trend in weekly cycles and it has been our experience that they change every 5 days or so. So its a pretty solid start.

Good luck. Neil

AndrewB01

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 11:37:25 AM »
Thanks Neil, That's a great help.

I only got into ANTSSYS on Friday so I've had all weekend to read and watch all the youtube videos to get up to speed. I hope you do more of them.
Do you only trade from the 3R? What range do you use to get the long term trend for the market?

Using this system I made 50pips off the EURAUD this afternoon after a couple of dud starts  ;D

Neil

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 11:44:25 AM »
50 on EA is a pretty solid start!

The system is built around identifying trend, as such it will work to put you on the correct side of the trend.

We aim to do a video session about once a fortnight. Sometimes more if there is a demand. I try to make them as relevant as possible, as I don't see much value in lecturing on about stuff that either doesn't make sense on an actual chart, or in wasting anyones time least of all my own when it could be better applied to trading. So yes, I hope they are meaningful and if they aren't, I expect to be told! :)

There is no hard and fast rule. At the moment, the team here in London are trading on the NQ and are using a 10R bar. We aim for big movements and have wide stops. Others might want to clip off 10 pips at a time, in this case what we do would not be helpful.

As a rule, try to make your longer term trend size about 5% of the ADR. So on GBPAUD (205ADR) 205 * 5% = 10.25, so a 10R bar would be spot on.

Neil